Have you been Compromised? I would be pretty sure that you already have been.....but you don't know it!
Would you like to find out for sure? Then read on......because we have a simple online check for you.
You may not know, but over the last few years, millions of email addresses have been leaked, stolen and sold in hacking attacks on thousands of websites!
This is big business, because your information and data is worth money! The results of this test may well be a shock to those people who are concerned about the security of their personal information. For those who are not remotely concerned about security, and there are a percentage who fall into this category, it still won't register. Nothing ever does until they get totally blitzed.
So here is the test.....just enter any e-mail address that you use then see the results: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
If your data has been compromised (and my guess is it will have been), then the screen will turn red and you will be told where the data breach has happened.
Your next course of action is to visit the sites that are listed and change your passwords to something very secure. You should do this now......not later!
What can you do to protect yourself in the future?
1. Your website should be running on the latest software.....not on an application that has been outdated for years.
2. Your website should have SSL Security in place.
3. Your website should be protected by a security firewall.
4. Stop using high risk webmail accounts like Yahoo, Hotmail etc. GMail is by far the best option.
5. If you have accounts on other sites under your e-mail account, then keep changing the password regularly.
6. Any passwords you use should be complex using a combination of low and upper case letters, and symbols.
7. Use professional security programs on your computers such as Kaspersky or Eset.
8. Backup the data on your computer to an external drive on a weekly basis.
9. If you're not using your computer.....then turn it off! Don't leave it permanently connected to the internet.
That's my advice.....given in good faith, and in your best interests! I can't do anything about the points from number 4 onwards. Points 1 to 3 fall into our area, but unless you're prepared to take those points seriously we've very limited in what we can do to protect your interests.
Was I compromised? Yes.....on Linkedin and DropBox, but I dealt with those issues immediately, so the risk was eradicated. But I keep on top of security issues and take it very seriously.....do YOU?
Published in WebSpain