HTTPS/SSL security on websites is important! I've been saying it for some years, and recent statements from Google demonstrate that it's now becoming the minimum acceptable standard......"A web with HTTPS is not the distant future. It’s happening now, with secure browsing becoming standard!"
Let me clarify that! It's now no longer evaluated as an optional addon that gives additional benefits......it's now classed as a critical indicator of your professionalism. Google is not in the business of deliver poor or potentially unsafe search results to users, so it's looking for signs that demonstrate you are a serious business entity. Basically it needs to know that you are who you say you are, and that any site visitors are not at risk of identity theft, phishing etc.
This is part of a mission that Google have been on in recent years to make the web a safer place. And it's really picked up momentum now. Here's their latest Security Bulletin where they say "More than half of pages loaded and two-thirds of total time spent by Chrome desktop users occur via HTTPS, and we expect these metrics to continue their strong upward trajectory".
We're now heading towards two classes of web sites......the professional and secure ones with HTTPS, and the unprofessional and insecure ones who are trying to do everything on the cheap while taking no responsibility for their clients' personal security.
If you were Google, who would you recommend in search listings? If you're a site visitor, who would you trust to do business with?
As I've listed before, these are some of the benefits of having HTTPS/SSL data encryption in place:
1. 2048 bit encrypted connection between the user and the site giving a higher level of security for data transmission.
2. An SSL certificate also provides authentication. This means that users can be sure that they are sending information to YOU, and not to a criminal’s server.
3. Protection from Phishing, where a criminal tries to impersonate you or your website.
4. Dedicated IP address that gives you protection from any IP blacklisting of your site and e-mail caused by other users on the shared server IP address.
5. Enhanced professionalism giving clients confidence in doing business with you.
6. Trust! Browsers give visual cues, such as the lock icon in the address bar, which tells visitors that their connection is secure.
7. SSL is a criteria for search engine ranking, so potentially higher placement in searches.
None of the above is opinion! None of it is conjecture or hypothesis! It's the cold hard facts with verifiable links to substantiate them. Do YOU need it? Once again, I'm not going to give you an opinion!
I'll just let Google answer that one...."As the remainder of the web transitions to HTTPS, we’ll continue working to ensure that migrating to HTTPS is a no-brainer, providing business benefit beyond increased security. Don’t hesitate to start planning your HTTPS migration today!"
If you require any more info just contact us at